#7 Mountain West Conference
Well this year Boise State should be able to reclaim their title, but the Air Force Academy and San Diego State will not go quietly into the night. New Mexico could surprise, but after that the schools will be pretty awful really.
MWC – Mountain Division
- Boise State University – Broncos – 12-0 / 8-0: If we said the Broncos were back in the saddle again would that be a bit like cannibalism? Well anyway after a year’s hiatus, the Broncos will be back on top of their division. However, a schedule where the big games are BYU and Washington State (although this one will be bigger than it seemed on Sept 10), is not likely to vault Boise State into playoff talk, but puts them on a course towards consideration for a NYE6 Bowl game.
- Air Force Academy – Falcons – 11-1 / 7-1: The Falcon’s will be flying high, but a season ending trip to Boise will probably end up showing that BSU is still the team to beat in the Mountain division. The Falcon’s will win the CoC award, and have that bowl berth to fall back on.
- University of New Mexico – Lobos – 10-2 / 6-2: The Lobos should be able to put some marks in the win column this year. A light schedule that has as it’s toughest ooc test a trip the Banks of the Raritan should result in the only losses coming on the road in Boise and Colorado Springs.
- Colorado State University – Rams – 5-7 / 3-5: This is not a great year for the Rams to audition for the Big XII, but their schedule is only weak enough to get them to 5 wins.
- Utah State University – Aggies – 2-10 / 1-7: The Utags are on a slide this year, and are in that unenviable position of getting all their winnable games on the road, while facing teams they have no chance against at home. Which is one of the most common formula for a bad season.
- Wyoming University – Cowboys – 1-11 / 0-8: The Cowboys don’t simply not have any rounds chambered they don’t have any bullets. UC-Davis is the only thing giving them a shot at avoiding a winless campaign.
MWC – West Division
- San Diego State University – Aztecs – 12-0 / 8-0: The Aztecs are following up a very nice MWC championship campaign with one that could be special. Only two teams on their schedule (California & @Northern Illinois) could reasonably beat them. The only question is if after feasting on the weak and infirm can they beat BSU and strike NYD paydirt?
- University of Nevada – Wolf Pack – 8-4 / 5-3: The Wolf Pack will again have a good year on the gridiron. They have a great shot at adding Purdue to their list of victims, but it will not help them stay close to SDSU.
- San Jose State University – Spartans – 6-6 / 4-4: The Spartans could make a bowl two years in a row if they can play this out the right way. A key game will be a Sept 24th visit to Ames.
- UNLV – Rebels – 5-7 / 3-5: This should be another small step back towards a winning season for the Rebels.
- Fresno State University – Bulldogs – 2-10 / 1-7: Fresno State is finding life harder these days, and Tim DeRuyter has to be feeling some heat. This season is not going to give him much relief.
- University of Hawaii – Rainbow Warriors – 3-10 / 1-7: Well now it’s Nick Rolovich’s turn to try his hand as a head coach. At least he gets to live in Hawaii.